World

Putin Vows Retaliation After Deadly Strike in Occupied Luhansk

Russia Accuses Ukraine of Deadly Dormitory Attack in Starobilsk

Russian President Vladimir Putin has pledged retaliation against Ukraine following a deadly overnight strike on a building in the occupied eastern Ukrainian town of Starobilsk, an attack Moscow says killed six people and left several others missing.

The incident, which took place in the Russian-controlled part of the Luhansk region, has once again highlighted the growing intensity of drone warfare between Russia and Ukraine as the conflict enters another year of heavy fighting. Russian authorities accused Ukrainian forces of targeting a student dormitory, while Kyiv insisted the operation was aimed at a military installation used by one of Russia’s elite drone units.

Kremlin Promises Military Response

According to Russian officials, the attack happened during the night and involved multiple waves of drones. Emergency crews spent hours searching through collapsed concrete and twisted debris as rescue operations continued into Friday afternoon.

Speaking during a reception at the Kremlin in Moscow, Putin condemned the strike and said Russian military commanders had been instructed to prepare proposals for a response.

“This attack was directed at a civilian facility,” Putin said. “There were no military sites, intelligence centres, or military support services nearby.”

The Russian president rejected suggestions that the destruction may have been caused by falling debris from Russian air defence systems. He argued that the scale of damage showed the building had been struck directly.

Russian authorities said six people died in the attack and 39 others were injured. Officials added that around 15 people were still unaccounted for by Friday evening.

Rescue Operations Continue in Starobilsk

State media broadcast footage from the scene showing emergency workers pulling survivors from the rubble while cranes and excavators cleared wreckage from the damaged structure. Russian television also interviewed a young woman identified as 19-year-old Diana Shovkun, who was reportedly injured when a concrete slab collapsed during the strike.

She was shown receiving treatment for head injuries at a nearby medical facility. However, Russian broadcasters did not release images or further information about the people Moscow says were killed.

The town of Starobilsk has remained under Russian control since the early stages of Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Located in the Luhansk region, it has become part of Russia’s military logistics network in eastern Ukraine, an area where fighting and drone activity have intensified over recent months.

Ukraine Says Drone Unit Was Targeted

Later on Friday, Ukraine’s military appeared to confirm carrying out an operation in Starobilsk, though its account differed sharply from Moscow’s version of events.

In a statement, Ukrainian officials said their forces had struck the headquarters of Russia’s elite Rubicon drone unit, a formation Kyiv accuses of coordinating attacks on Ukrainian civilians and infrastructure.

The Ukrainian military did not directly confirm whether the targeted facility was the same building Russia described as a student dormitory. However, officials insisted the operation was aimed solely at military objectives.

Kyiv said its armed forces continued to operate “in strict compliance with international humanitarian law” and accused Russian drone operators of conducting repeated strikes against civilian targets across Ukraine.

Drone Warfare Intensifies Across the Conflict

The Rubicon unit has become increasingly associated with Russia’s expanding use of drones during the war. Both sides now rely heavily on unmanned aerial systems for reconnaissance, artillery guidance, and direct attacks.

Drone warfare has transformed the battlefield since the beginning of the conflict, with long-range strikes reaching deep into both Russian-controlled territory and regions inside Russia itself.

Ukraine has stepped up attacks on military infrastructure far behind the front line in recent months, arguing that such operations are necessary to weaken Russian logistics, command structures, and drone capabilities.

Russia, meanwhile, has continued large-scale missile and drone attacks across Ukraine, frequently targeting energy systems, transport hubs, and urban centres.

The competing narratives surrounding the Starobilsk strike reflect the broader information war that has accompanied the conflict since 2022. Independent verification of battlefield claims remains difficult, particularly in occupied territories where access for international journalists and observers is heavily restricted.

Neither side’s account could immediately be independently confirmed.

Zelensky Claims Separate Strike on FSB Base

The latest incident comes amid an increase in Ukrainian strikes against Russian military assets in occupied territories.

On Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky claimed Ukrainian forces had also hit a headquarters linked to Russia’s Federal Security Service, or FSB, in the occupied Kherson region of southern Ukraine.

Zelensky said around 100 Russian personnel were either killed or wounded in that attack. Moscow has not officially commented on the claim, though some pro-Kremlin military channels on Telegram acknowledged casualties following what they described as a “massive drone strike”.

Throughout the war, Ukraine has increasingly targeted command centres, ammunition depots, radar systems, and drone facilities located in occupied regions. Kyiv argues these sites form part of Russia’s military infrastructure and therefore represent legitimate wartime targets.

Civilian Casualties Continue on Both Sides

Russia, however, continues to accuse Ukraine of deliberately striking civilian locations.

The Kremlin has repeatedly portrayed Ukrainian drone operations as acts of terrorism designed to spread fear among civilians living in Russian-controlled areas and inside Russia itself.

At the same time, Ukraine has long accused Russia of carrying out indiscriminate attacks against civilian populations.

Since the beginning of the invasion, thousands of civilians have been killed or injured across Ukraine, according to international monitoring groups and United Nations estimates.

Just last week, Ukrainian officials said at least 24 people died after a Russian missile struck a residential tower block in Kyiv. Among the dead were reportedly three young girls.

Images released after that attack showed entire sections of the apartment building destroyed, with emergency workers searching through rubble for survivors. Ukrainian authorities described the strike as another example of Russia deliberately targeting civilian infrastructure, an allegation Moscow denies.

Growing Fears of Further Escalation

Russia insists its military operations focus on strategic and military objectives, although repeated attacks on residential buildings, hospitals, schools, and power facilities have drawn international condemnation.

The war has increasingly become defined by long-range strikes and drone attacks carried out far from traditional front-line combat zones.

Over the past year, Ukraine has expanded its domestic drone production and developed the capability to hit targets hundreds of kilometres away. Russian military bases, fuel depots, industrial facilities, and airfields have all been targeted.

Russia has also intensified its own drone campaign, using Iranian-designed Shahed drones alongside cruise and ballistic missiles to pressure Ukrainian air defences and damage infrastructure.

Military analysts say both countries are now engaged in a strategic contest aimed at exhausting each other’s resources while shaping public perception at home and abroad.

Putin’s promise of retaliation is likely to raise concerns over the possibility of further Russian strikes in the coming days.

Russia has previously responded to major Ukrainian operations with waves of missile and drone attacks against Ukrainian cities and infrastructure. Energy facilities, railway networks, and residential districts have often been hit during such retaliation campaigns.

Although no details were immediately provided about the nature of Russia’s planned response, the Kremlin leader’s public remarks suggest military commanders are already preparing options.

Diplomatic efforts to end the conflict remain stalled, with neither side showing signs of softening their positions.

Ukraine continues to demand the restoration of its internationally recognised borders, while Russia insists the territories it annexed following disputed referendums are now permanently part of the Russian Federation.

The fighting has left large parts of eastern and southern Ukraine devastated, displaced millions of civilians, and triggered the largest security crisis in Europe since the Second World War.

As rescue workers continued searching through the ruins in Starobilsk on Friday night, the attack served as another reminder of how deeply the war now reaches into areas far beyond the front lines.

With drone technology playing an increasingly central role and both sides promising further military action, there appears to be little sign that the violence is easing.

You may be interested

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.